From the stationary engine to the turbofan jet engine
A journey of discovery in the Rolls-Royce Deutschland factory museum through the industrial history of the Motorenfabrik in Oberursel.
The factory museum was officially opened in September 2002.
The opening was originally planned for October 2001 (as noted on the bronze plaque) but was postponed due to the consequences of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
This chapter is still under construction
The Motorenfabrik, founded in 1892, and since 2000 a site of Rolls-Royce Deutschland, is considered as being the world’s oldest active aircraft engine factory. The site goes back to 1882 to a factory built for the manufacture of grain milling machines. At the time it was the first mechanical engineering factory in Oberursel.
The company grew with the production of the stationary engine "Gnom", developed at the beginning of the 20th century, to the second largest manufacturer of motor locomotives in Germany. The orbital engines, built in Oberursel during the First World War, were used to equip the first German fighter aircraft, the most famous of which was the Red Baron’s Fokker three-decker or triplane.
The period between the world wars saw the manufacture of Deutz engines in Oberursel. These engines were installed in farm tractors, which advanced the mechanization of German agriculture. In addition, work was undertaken from 1941 onwards on the development of large-scale aircraft engines.
After World War II, the factory became a victim of reparations and was dismantled. The U.S. Army used it as a repair depot for the next 11 years.
At the beginning of the 1960s aircraft engine construction with various license productions and in-house developments moved into the factory.
A new era begun in 1990 with the development of the BR 700 series jet engines for regional and business jets.
After transition into Rolls-Royce Deutschland, the plant developed into a centre of excellence for rotating engine components, especially for compressor drums, compressor wheels in BLISK design and turbine discs.
GKMO -The Historical Circle introduces itself
The “Geschichtskreis Motorenfabrik Oberursel”, (Historical Circle of the Motorenfabrik Oberursel) abbreviated GKMO, was founded on August 5th, 2010 with its headquarters in Oberursel. The purpose of the association, anchored in its statutes, is to preserve, to expand, maintain, convey, and make accessible the cultural and historical legacy of the Motorenfabrik, founded in Oberursel in 1892, including all later operating and corporate forms and names of this company and with the products manufactured here. The Historical Circle’s aim is to contribute to strengthening the historical awareness within the company and the public.
Made with Offline Website Builder